Cricket is a beloved sport in South Africa, where both the national team, the Proteas, and the provincial league draw large crowds. For those who love betting on cricket, South Africa offers plenty of options. Online South Africa bookmakers and betting sites offer odds and markets for both domestic and international matches, allowing fans to place bets pre-match or live in-play on test matches, ODIs, or T20s. With these options, it’s easy to get in on the action regardless of which team you support.
Read our comprehensive guide on cricket betting in South Africa. From cricket formats and betting options to top bookmakers, promotions, and more, this guide covers everything you need to know.
Why Cricket Betting is popular
Cricket betting in South Africa is second only to soccer in terms of sports betting options. The vast number of pre-match and live play bets is what makes it so popular among South Africans. Regardless of your preference for T20 or opinions on Virat Kohli, you’ll find excellent odds, betting markets, and promotions for cricket betting in South Africa.
Cricket Match Types Available for Betting
ONE DAY INTERNATIONAL (ODI)
One Day International (ODI) is a form of limited-overs cricket where each team must bat in succession for 50 overs or until 10 players are out. The game lasts approximately 9 hours and has an average pace. The traditional Cricket World Cup held every 4 years is played in the ODI format, but there is also a T20 format World Cup.
T20 cricket prioritizes hitting and scoring, with each team batting for 20 overs or until they are out. It lasts about 4 hours and has revolutionized the sport, attracting a younger audience. The Indian Premier League (IPL) founded in 2008 was a major contributor to T20’s popularity, with many other T20 leagues now in existence, such as the Big Bash League in Australia, Pakistani Super League, and the T20 Blast in England.
Test Matches are played between international teams and can last 1-5 days. Each team takes turns batting for two innings or until the second team reaches the score set by their opponents over two innings. Test Match cricket uses a red ball and requires players to wear white kit. The pace is slower than ODIs and T20s, with players aiming to score runs consistently over the course of an innings.
Notable Cricket Tournaments to Bet On
Here are some of the most prominent international cricket tournaments that you can bet on in South Africa.
- Indian Premier League: The IPL is a T20 cricket league that takes place in India and is contested by eight city-based franchises. The teams feature a mix of Indian and foreign players and are known for attracting large crowds and paying their players high salaries.
- ICC Cricket World Cup: The ICC Cricket World Cup is the premier cricket event organized by the international governing body, held every four years. It consists of qualifying rounds leading up to a final tournament, hosted in a different cricketing nation each time.
- The Ashes: The Ashes is a Test cricket series between England and Australia that dates back to 1877. It consists of five Test matches hosted alternatively in each country every two years. If the series is tied, the team that won the Ashes in the previous series retains the trophy.
- T20 World Cup: The ICC T20 World Cup is the official international championship for Twenty20 cricket, held every two years since 2007. The tournament features 16 teams, including the top 10 ranked teams and six other countries selected through T20 World Cup qualifiers.
Cricket Betting Options
Cricket offers a wide variety of betting options, both pre-match and live. In South Africa, there are numerous cricket betting odds and markets available that allow you to make predictions about the overall performance of teams, individual player stats, and even the outcome of specific balls or innings. You can place bets on the winner of big tournaments like the IPL or ICC Cricket World Cup, as well as smaller domestic leagues and competitions.
Popular Cricket Betting Markets in South Africa:
- Match Winner: Which team will come out on top in the match? In ODI and T20, there are only two options, but in Test Matches, a draw is also possible.
- Coin Toss: Which team will win the coin toss?
- Highest Opening Partnership: Which team will score the most runs before losing their first wicket?
- Team with Top Batsman: Which team will have the player who scores the most runs in the match?
- Team with Top Bowler: Which team will have the bowler with the most wickets and the least runs conceded?
- Home Top Batsman: Who from the home team will score the most runs?
- Away Top Batsman: Who from the visiting team will score the most runs?
- Top Bowler for the Home Team: Who among the home team’s bowlers will take the most wickets and give away the fewest runs?
- Top Bowler for the Visiting Team: Who among the visiting team’s bowlers will take the most wickets and give away the fewest runs?
- Man of the Match: Who will be named the man of the match?
- Total Ducks: How many players will be dismissed without scoring any runs?
- Player’s Total Runs: Will the specified player score more or less runs than the given number?
- Fall of First Wicket: When will the first wicket fall, with the batting team having more or less runs than the specified number?
- Total Fours in the Match: Will the number of fours scored in the match exceed or fall short of the given number?
- Total Sixes in the Match: Will the number of sixes scored in the match exceed or fall short of the given number?
- Total Run Outs in the Match: Will the number of run outs in the match exceed or fall short of the specified number?
- Total Wides in the Match: Will the number of wides bowled in the match exceed or fall short of the specified number?
- Method of First Dismissal: How will the first wicket fall in the match (caught, bowled, run out, etc.)?
Live and Inplay Cricket Betting
Live cricket betting is a favorite among sports bettors due to the multitude of markets offered that are updated after each ball is played. Sportingbet stands out for its coverage of both international and domestic cricket leagues with a vast array of markets and attractive odds. Bets are settled instantly at Sportingbet, eliminating the need to wait until the end of the match for winnings to be paid out.
Best Cricket Betting Sites in South Africa
There are various online betting sites in South Africa that offer cricket betting, and we’ve listed those with some of the best odds and markets below.